fungal infection, jock itch or tinea cruris, can be seen in the moist and warm areas of the body like the inner thighs, genitals, and buttocks. It causes ring-shaped rashes that are itchy and red. Those who sweat too much like athletes often get jock itch. People who are overweight are more susceptible to jock itch. Though it causes discomfort, it is generally not a serious problem.  Quick treatment could stop the fungi from multiplying and reduce the symptoms. Keeping the affected region dry and clean as well as the application of topical antifungal medicines can ease the problem. Prompt treatment of Athlete’s foot is also must for avoiding spreading of the fungus to the groin region. 
- Symptoms of Jock Itch
- Causes of Jock Itch
- Risk Factors for Jock Itch
- How Is Jock Itch Diagnosed?
- Conventional Treatment of Jock Itch
- Natural Remedies for Jock Itch
- Do It Yourself Herbal Powder for Easing Jock Itch
- Do It Yourself Anti Fungal Spray for Jock Itch
- Do It Yourself Essential Oil Based Antifungal Wash for Jock Itch
- Do It Yourself Antifungal Oil Blend for Jock Itch Relief
- Tips to Reduce Risk of Jock Itch
- Dietary Modification for Easing Fungal Infection
Symptoms of Jock Itch
Generally seen in inner thighs and groin region, it may spread to the buttocks and abdomen. Symptoms include the following: 
- Constant itching and redness
- Peeling, flaking and cracking of the skin
- Epidermal color changes
- A feeling of burning on the affected epidermis
- Rash which deteriorates with activity or exercise
- A rash may aggravate or expand post application of anti-itching or hydrocortisone cream.
Causes of Jock Itch
- Occlusive, body-hugging clothes and undergarments that do not let the sweat to escape.
- Epidermal friction, warmth and slightly wet region in the groin
- Certain bacterial infections
- Infections caused by yeasts like Candida and fungus like Epidermophyton and Trichophyton.
Risk Factors for Jock Itch
- Diabetes and obesity
- Prolonged illness
- People with a weak immune system or those with a compromised immune system due to AIDS.
- Fungal infection like athlete’s foot etc.
- Moisture, humidity, heat etc. 
How Is Jock Itch Diagnosed?
The appearance of your epidermis and analysis of symptoms help determine if you have jock itch. To determine if the cause is fungal, microscopic analysis of epidermal scrapings treated with potassium hydroxide may be done. In certain rare cases, the fungal culture of the epidermal scraping may be done. Wood’s light, an ultraviolet light, may be used to determine whether the causative factor is a fungus or a bacterial eruption. Rarely, a skin biopsy may be done.
Conventional Treatment of Jock Itch
- Mild jock itch: Cleaning the groin region with an antifungal shampoo like selenium sulphide or ketoconazole two times a day might relieve mild jock itch.
- Moderate jock itch: Use antifungal shampoos twice daily along with topical application of antifungal creams like clotrimazole, miconazole or terbinafine.
- Severe jock itch: Antifungal oral pills like itraconazole, fluconazole, and terbinafine could help along with antifungal shampoo and cream.
- Bacterial jock itch: Antibacterial skin washes like chlorhexidine soap; topical ointment containing neomycin; topical antibiotic like metronidazole lotion or erythromycin lotion; or in severe cases oral antibiotics doxycycline, cephalexin, erythromycin or minocycline are prescribed.
- Treatment for itching: Topical steroid creams like over the counter one percent hydrocortisone or prescription triamcinolone 0.025% one to three times a day is recommended for five to seven days.
Natural Remedies for Jock Itch
Here is a list of simple yet effective remedies you can try to get rid jock itch:
1. Tea Tree Oil
By virtue of its antiseptic, antifungal and germicidal properties, tea tree oil serves as an effective agent for mitigating jock itch. It works on both epidermal inflammation and itching. Tea tree oil has been found to be effective on fungal infections when used in various concentrations. For applying on jock itch just mix three or four drops of the oil with an ounce of coconut or olive oil and apply on it two times in a day. Let the skin soak it up. Dilution of tea tree oil is a must before application.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Its potent antifungal and antibacterial properties help fight jock itch. You need to combine water and apple cider vinegar in equal amounts in a spray bottle and refrigerate it to cool it. Now spray it on the inflamed skin and get relief.
3. Honey and Garlic
This combination works as garlic induces a bactericidal and fungicidal effect and honey calms the tingling sensation caused by the jock itch. A study revealed that garlic possesses antifungal factors like monosulfides, disulfides, and trisulphides because of which it is effective against fungal infections. For an application, you need to mince or finely chop the garlic and combine it with raw organic honey and warm water. Topically apply the paste on the infected portion twice a day and wash it off after fifteen minutes. Dry it well and then wear clothes. At night also you can apply it and leave it overnight. In general, you can increase your oral garlic consumption. This can be done by taking garlic capsules or adding more of raw garlic to your regular meals. 
4. Listerine or Rubbing Alcohol
It works on jock itch related swelling by virtue of its antiseptic properties. The alcohol present in Listerine has a fungicidal and bactericidal impact.  You need to dip a cotton ball in dye-free Listerine or rubbing alcohol and topically apply on the affected areas many times a day. It may burn when you apply it the first time but on repeated use, the burning sensation may reduce. 
5. Warm Water and Salt Bath
In a bathtub full of warm water add a good amount of iodized salt or Epsom salt. Soak yourself in it for at least twenty minutes two times a day to get relief. 
6. Garlic and Manuka Honey
Take a small amount of minced garlic and combine it with two teaspoons of Manuka honey. Topically apply it on the infected area, leave it as is for some time and then clean it up by washing. You may get a burning sensation at the beginning but the remedy is said to be effective. 
7. Licorice Powder
Boil a mixture of one cup of water and eight teaspoons of licorice root powder and simmer for at least ten minutes. Cool and apply the paste two times a day. Leave it for ten minutes and then either wash or wipe it off. 
8.Lemongrass Tea or Oil Extract
Both lemongrass tea and lemongrass oil extract have effective antifungal properties. Prior to application, you need to mix the oil with a carrier oil and topically apply two times a day. A lemongrass tea bag that has been brewed can also be applied to the infected region. 
9. Aloe Vera
It serves as a natural antifungal agent and soothes the associated inflammation, itching and irritation. You can apply the gel directly on affected region thrice a day. You can even use an aloe vera based ointment. 
It works by virtue of its antifungal, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Use turmeric powder or freshly ground raw turmeric in combination with water. Apply the paste on the affected region and let it dry. Drinking turmeric tea or turmeric water can also be beneficial. 
11. Oregano Oil
It is considered to be a very powerful antifungal agent. Just combine few drops of oregano oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil and topically apply it three times a day. 
12. Neem Seed Oil
Neem leaf extract and seed oil have antifungal properties. Lotion with neem extracts can be used to reduce redness and neem based powder can mitigate itching associated with jock itch. 
Do It Yourself Herbal Powder for Easing Jock Itch
Two tablespoons each of myrrh gum powder; lavender bud powder; black walnut hull powder; and Oregon grape root powder
Half cup each of white cosmetic clay; cornstarch; and baking soda
Twenty-five drops each of thyme essential oil and sage essential oil
Fifty drops of tea tree essential oil
First blend all the powdered ingredients together i.e. clay, cornstarch, black walnut, lavender bud, baking soda, myrrh gum and Oregon grape root. You can use a food processor or whisk them together gently.
Take six tablespoons of the powder in a mortar and slowly drop by drop pour in the essential oils and mix well with the pestle.
Now mix this paste with the remaining powder and shake well in a large container with a lid or blend in a food processor for just fifteen seconds.
Keep the mixture in a dark cool place in an airtight container for three days so that the ingredients combine well.
The herbal powder is ready to use now. Just take some powder in a cotton swab and apply over the affected area twice or thrice daily.
Use it within a year.
Do It Yourself Anti Fungal Spray for Jock Itch
A half ounce each of witch hazel; olive oil; and apple cider vinegar
Two ounces of pure aloe vera gel
Ten drops each of pure lavender essential oil and chamomile oil
Two drops of peppermint essential oil
An ounce of jojoba oil
Take a glass spray bottle and put all the ingredients in it and blend them well.
Cool the solution in the refrigerator and use.
Do It Yourself Essential Oil Based Antifungal Wash for Jock Itch
Two drops of cypress essential oil
A cup of water
In a ceramic or a glass bowl take the water and pour the essential oil and blend well.
Take a soft and clean washcloth and topically apply on the affected region.
Now using a blow dryer set at the lowest temperature, dry the area well.
Repeat often so that the cypress oil can induce its fungicidal effects. 
Do It Yourself Antifungal Oil Blend for Jock Itch Relief
Two drops each of lavender and tea tree essential oils
A teaspoon of olive oil
Take a glass or ceramic bowl and pour the oils and blend them well.
Use your fingers to apply the oil on the affected region twice a day. Continue application till the jock itch goes away.
You need to wear neat and clean cotton underwear.
Tips to Reduce Risk of Jock Itch
- Daily bathing
- This is must and you need to use a gentle soap and water. You should not delay taking a shower post exercise or after heavy sweating.
- Dry and clean the groin region
- You need to keep the area dry and clean always. If you are prone to jock itch, then after your bath applies anti-fungal powder.
- Regularly wash your underwear
- Both your athletic supporter and underwear needs to be washed daily. Do not share your underwear, towels etc. with others especially when the infection is at its active stage. It is better to use separate towels to dry the affected area and the rest of your body.
- Soft fabric and lose fitting clothes should be worn
- Do not wear underwear or clothes that can agitate the sweat-prone or jock itch-prone areas. Wear boxers instead of briefs.
- Post swimming quickly change into dry clothes
- Do not stay for long in a wet swimming suit and wash it regularly.
- Wear socks before underwear
- This is very important in case you are suffering from athlete’s foot. Otherwise, you will end up spreading it to other body parts. 
Dietary Modification for Easing Fungal Infection
1. Avoid excessive sour, sweet, hot and spicy food.
2. Stay away from pickled and citrus fruits.
3. Avoid smoking, caffeine, and alcohol
4. White flour based food items like pizza, bread, cakes, and pastries should not be consumed during fungal infection.
5. Abstain from excessive salty, processed and fast foods as well as aerated drinks.
6. Eat more of fresh vegetables and fruits.
7. Antifungal foods:  Ginger: Fresh or dried ginger is rich in antioxidant and antifungal properties. Presence of shagelol and gingerol in it makes it effective against fungal infections.
Onions: By virtue of its components ajoene and allicin it gives antifungal protection to us.
Coconut oil: The oil in its cold pressed form has ample capric acid and lauric acid which are active against fungal infections.  Probiotics: These include buttermilk, yogurt and kefir which help replenish the healthy bacteria in our body. By doing so they may make our body less amicable for fungal invasion.
Garlic: It is known for its fungicidal, bactericidal and anti-viral properties. Ajoene and allicin present in raw garlic help you fight fungal infections. To reap these benefits, you need to consume raw garlic. Cooking may destroy the useful enzymes.