eople in different parts of the world eat a variety of fruits on a day-to-day basis. Their nutrient-rich properties and unique taste make them some of the most consumed food items in the world. While, there are various types of fruits that are healthy and tasty, the ones that is truly loved is orange. This spherical-shaped fruit is tangy and tasty. This fruit belongs to the citrus species and is a hybrid between mandarin and pomelo.
Consumed worldwide in a number of ways, this fruit is used for culinary purposes as well as skin care reasons. Oranges have always been hailed for their health-benefiting factors as well. It is a popularly known fact that this fruit is enriched with Vitamin C. A water-soluble vitamin that is essential for maintaining the health of the body. From the peel to the pulp, different parts of the orange can be used for various purposes. However, this fruit is often consumed in juice form.
Despite being one of the famous fruits in the world, there are still many people who are not aware of the plethora of ways in which this fruit can improve your health as well as the appearance of the skin. Read on to know about this citrus fruit that has been around for ages.
What Are The Different Varieties Of Oranges?
Oranges are cultivated and grown around the world and they come in different varieties. Some of the types are – common, navel, acidless, hybrid and blood oranges. The subtypes of common oranges are Valencia, Hamlin, Hart’s Tardiff Valencia. The other types like hybrids and blood oranges all differ in their characteristics and even in taste. 
What Is The Nutritional Worth Of An Orange?
There is no denying about the fact that oranges are some of the most delicious fruits in the world. However, when it comes to these fruits, there is more than what meets the eye. An orange is considered as a powerhouse of numerous nutrients that can work wonders for the body. First and foremost, it is an incredible source of Vitamin C. In about 100 grams, you can find about 53.2 mg vitamin C. In the same quantity, you will be able to get 30 mcg of folate, a vitamin that encourages healthy cell production and is water-soluble in nature.
Furthermore, 100 grams of orange contains 0.1 mg of thiamin. This particular compound is essential for the proper functioning of the nerves and processing of enzymes that are crucial for the muscles in the body. Other than the compounds mentioned above, 100 gram of orange is also packed with 2.4 g of dietary fiber, 7.0 of total omega-3 fatty acids, 0.9 g of proteins, 225 IU of vitamin A and 0.2 mg of vitamin E. The minerals present in this quantity of oranges are 40 mg of calcium, 10 mg of magnesium, 14 mg of phosphorus and 0.1 mg of iron. 
What Are The Health Benefits Of Oranges?
There are countless reasons why orange is called beneficial for health. Since time immemorial, this fruit is cited as superfood for its numerous health-promoting features. Here is a list of some of the most prominent health benefits of this sweet and tangy fruit.
1. Improves Immunity
It is a well-known fact that an orange is a source of vitamin C among other things. However, not many people are aware of the fact that this particular property of oranges helps it to strengthen the immune system. The immune-enhancing role of Vitamin C has been established by many clinical trials and scientific studies. It was found that regular adequate intakes of vitamin C can improve a person’s immunity and help his or her body to fight off free radicals as well as oxidants that may lead to arthritis. Whether it is the common cold or chronic disease like arthritis, a strong immune system can fight them all. And, one of the best ways to do that is by providing body with vitamin C. , 
2. Help Combat Cancer
For years, numerous studies and clinical trials have been conducted to find a potential connection between citrus fruits like oranges and different types of cancers. Many of these investigations were able to establish a link between these two and that is why, nowadays, oranges are often considered as cancer-combating fruits. After being a constant subject of investigation, oranges were found to be anticancer in nature. Even the juice of this fruit along with other derivatives was found to be sources of anticancer properties.  A study found that regular intake of citrus fruits like oranges resulted in a reduced risk of breast cancer. There were observational studies conducted to find the inverse link between this type of cancer and citrus fruits. 
3. Help Protect From Neurodegenerative Diseases
Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are some of the most commonly known neurodegenerative diseases that affect numerous people in the world. These life-limiting diseases can have a serious negative impact on the quality of your life. Many studies were conducted to find out about the efficacy of citrus fruits in averting these diseases. It was found, that citrus fruits like oranges are packed with flavonoids and they exhibit neuroprotective effects that can help protect you from developing neurodegenerative diseases. 
4. Help Fighting Cardiovascular Diseases
Since oranges are enriched with vitamin C and flavonoids like hesperidin, they are able to lower down the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) and boost the level of good cholesterol (HDL) in the body. Apart from that, the high content of fiber in oranges can also promote the health of the heart. Oranges are known to contain compounds like folate, a compound that belongs to the B vitamins category. This specific nutrient plays a huge role in helping the body ward off cardiovascular problems. It has been found that dietary folate is also crucial for maintaining normal DNA in the body. 
5. Provides Antioxidants To The Body
Another amazing way in which an orange can benefit your health is by providing antioxidants to the body. Antioxidants are compounds that protect the body from toxic elements like free radicals and oxidants. An excess production of these harmful elements in the body leads to oxidative stress. This particular phenomenon changes the cell membranes in the body and can lead to a wide array of life-threatening ailments as well as life-limiting conditions such as multiple sclerosis and many others. Recently, it was found that harmful oxidants can also cause inflammatory lung diseases. However, when it comes to fighting off elements that lead to oxidative stress, citrus fruits like oranges are considered to be particularly effective, as it is an important antioxidant and offer protection against free radicals and oxidants. , 
The aforementioned health benefits have been well-documented in the last few years. However, there are many more ways in which this incredible fruit can boost your health. Like, since oranges are well-stocked with dietary fiber, they can also prove to be beneficial in controlling surplus body weight. 
Which Is The Healthiest Way To Consume Oranges?
There are a variety of ways in which these citrus fruits are consumed all over the world. However, if you want to get a high concentration of Vitamin C, then you should try to include orange pulp in your diet. When compared to the juice extracted from an orange and even the peels of the fruit, the pulp of an orange is the almighty as it contains most vitamin C. That is why high-pulp juice is often deemed as the healthiest way to consume oranges. 
How Can An Orange Benefit Your Skin?
Other than the health-promoting properties, an orange is also a great ingredient for fighting off a huge array of skin ailments and improving the health and appearance of the skin. It acts as a tonic and a potent astringent. And, while there are plenty of ways in which it can benefit your skin, the one skin-benefiting feature of an orange that makes it indispensable is its ability to tackle signs of aging. A lot of studies have evaluated the anti-aging potential of these citrus fruits and found them to be quite effective. 
This juicy fruit is widely used and consumed for skin care purposes as well. People who are affected by age spots, often make use of these fruits because of their high Vitamin C content. By providing antioxidants to the body, it also safeguards the skin from the free radical damage that is often a result of exposure to sunlight. These toxic elements cause the occurrence of age spots on the skin. In this condition, melanin, a type of pigment found in the skin, gets accumulated on the surface of the skin and causes prominent age spots. In addition, this fruit can also help improve the complexion of the skin. 
How To Use An Orange For Skin Care?
In different cultures around the globe, people follow different skin care methods that involves oranges. The methods should depend on the skin problem that you want to get rid of. Some of the effective ways of using oranges for skin care are listed below –
1. Squeeze out at least 2 tablespoons of orange juice and mix it with a pinch of turmeric powder. Take the prepared paste and slather it all over your face & neck prior to going to bed in the night. In the morning, wash away the material. 
2. Take at least 2 orange peels and a little bit of fresh water. Put them in a blender to get a smooth paste. Properly mix to get a lump-free paste ready. Afterward, slather a thick layer of the resulting paste on a freshly cleaned face. For the next 20-25 minutes, sit back and let the paste dry. Cleanse your face and pat it dry. Follow up by applying a light moisturizer to get better skin. 
3. The topical application of orange juice can be helpful for those who have greasy skin as well as those who are troubled with dry skin. This juice is capable of enhancing the natural beauty of the facial skin as well. Just extract fresh juice from an orange and smear it on the face. Allow it to stay on for a little while before using fresh water to wash away the residue. 
4. Take a mixing bowl and put 2 tablespoons of fresh yogurt in it. Then, pour 1 tablespoon of extracted orange juice in it. Thoroughly mix them and smear the resulting material on your facial skin as well as the neck area. Keep this homemade mask for about 15 minutes prior to using warm water to wash away the residue. This orange juice face mask can make the texture of your skin silky smooth and revitalized. 
5. You will need a ripe guava, half an orange, 2 teaspoons of milk powder, half teaspoon of sea salt and 2-3 soft leaves of guava. Remove the seeds from the guava and chop it into small pieces. Combine all the ingredients and transfer in a blender to get the paste ready. Afterward, take the paste and slather all over your face. Gently massage for a little while. Allow the paste to stay on for about 10 minutes prior to rinsing it off with warm water. You can repeat the same process after about 10 minutes to achieve great results. This orange recipe is great for oily skin. It can ward off acne whilst brightening and smoothening the skin. 
6. Take a small aloe vera plant leaf and thoroughly peel it. Once done, mash the leaf and mix with 1 teaspoon of fresh juice squeezed out from an orange. Take the concoction and smear on your face. Massage gently in sweeping motions and once done, use normal water to rinse the residue from the face. This is an incredible facial toner that can improve the state of your skin. 
Because of the amazing healthy properties, a lot of people of different age groups have made it a habit to consume oranges on a regular basis. This not only ensures that the body gets the required amount of Vitamin C but also helps different body parts to function efficiently. Now, that you know about all the skin-enhancing and health-boosting features of orange, you can easily go ahead and make this fantastic fruit a part of your diet to reap the rewards.